June 19 – August 11 at the University of Wisconsin–Madison
We are in the process of transitioning to a new website for CESSI and as such will no longer be making updates to this site. You can find all announcements and event information on the CESSI Facebook page. Information about the CESSI lecture series can also be found on the CREECA events page. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions. We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience as we work to improve our website.
The Central Eurasian Studies Summer Institute (CESSI) offers intensive Central Eurasian language courses alongside a cultural enhancement program which introduces students to the rich world of Central Eurasian history and culture.
The Center for Russia, East Europe and Central Asia (CREECA) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison will host CESSI in the summer of 2017.
In summer 2017, we will offer instruction in first- and second-year Kazakh, Tajik, Uyghur, and Uzbek. Scheduling of classes is contingent upon sufficient enrollment. Please apply to CESSI as early as possible to help ensure that your class will be offered. Other Central Eurasian languages may be added to this list if there is enough interest. Please contact the CESSI program coordinator if you are interested in studying a language not listed above.
New for 2017! CESSI will provide 10 Title VIII Fellowships to graduate students, researchers, and professionals who are U.S. citizens. Fellowships will cover tuition and fees, as well as provide a stipend of $2,500 to cover living expenses for the summer.
The CESSI consortium is comprised of international and area studies centers at major U.S. universities working together to provide high-quality instruction in the languages and cultures of Central Eurasia. They include:
- Columbia University: Harriman Institute
- Harvard University: Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies
- Michigan State University: Asian Studies Center and Center for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies
- Ohio State University: Center for Slavic and East European Studies and Center for East Asian Studies
- Stanford University: Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
- University of California–Berkeley: Institute of Slavic, East European, and Eurasian Studies
- University of Pennsylvania: Middle East Center
- University of Washington: Russian, East European, and Central Asian Studies Center, East Asia Center, and Center for Global Studies
- George Washington University: Institute for European, Russian, and Eurasian Studies
- University of Wisconsin–Madison: Center for Russia, East Europe, and Central Asia
The University of Wisconsin-Madison is an international leader in foreign language instruction. CESSI is but one of several summer language institutes hosted by UW-Madison. For information on other summer language offerings and institutes on our campus, please visit the UW-Madison Language Institute's site here
For further information about CESSI 2017, please contact Kelly Iacobazzi, CESSI program coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, (608) 265-6298.
Looking for Azerbaijani or Mongolian in summer 2017? Consider the IU Summer Language Workshop.